Friday, February 3, 2017

Using Older Supplies / This is Incredible

Happy Friday...woo hoo!  I'm back today sharing a new layout in my Using Older Supplies series I started several months ago on my YouTube channel.  I haven't done one of these in a while.  I got so busy during the holidays and then making extra projects for CHA last month.  I finally had a little bit of a break to create something just for fun, so I did just that.

For this page, I started off with the photo.  It's me and the Incredible Hulk!  I was so fortunate to meet Lou Ferrigno a few years ago at a MegaCon event in Orlando.  He was one of my favorites growing up, and my 7-year-old self was jumping up and down to meet him!  I never missed a Friday night of that show :)  I wanted to compliment all the blue in the photo but also add some green since he is the Hulk...haha :D  I also wanted to showcase what you could do with just a few supplies...so I maximized my white cardstock and washi tape in a few different ways.


I started off with an older heart stencil by Heidi Swapp and some Tidy Widy Shimmerz Texturez paste.  I just wanted some subtle texture and interest on the background.  Once that dried, I used some Prima Oil Pastels and some Shimmerz to create the watercolor effect.  The Texturez sort of acted as a resist so they still stood out.  I used the packaging technique as well as my finger to smudge all the color around.  I had the big white scribbly circle and big white hearts lying in my stash bin from previous projects, so I decided to use them.  I jazzed up the plain hearts by stitching around the edges with blue thread.  I came in with blue and green washi tape, which I tore first.  Then I created little confetti circles with it by placing strips onto some scrap cardstock and punching them out.  I had to glue each one down one by one...but it was worth it :)


I did add some foam under all the big hearts to give them some dimension.  I also added some green and blue tangled thread as well as some sequins from SpiegelMom Scraps.  Here you can see the awesome texture from the background hearts.  I wanted to create a fun confetti look with the small circles, so I glued them tighter together around the photo and then spaced them out as they went away from the picture.


I wasn't sure at first about covering up a lot of the background mixed media work, but I absolutely love how it turned out.  What you can see of the background is just the right amount of blue to compliment the photo.  Since the photo is so bold with all that blue, I didn't want to overpower that by making the background too busy.  All the white really balances it out.


Here I added more torn washi tape strips.  I used some of the DIY Thickers, which have a fabric texture to them.  You can alter them and add pretty much anything to them to change the color.  I used a blue gelato at the bottom and then dipped my finger in water to smudge the color.  I added an older Technique Tuesday stamp above it to complete my title.


I had to use the word "incredible" in my title somewhere, and I just love this phrase sticker from Tim Holtz.  It jumped out at me and reminded me of the show.  David Banner was always just a normal man...an ordinary man.  When he transformed into the Hulk, he always did extraordinary things by helping those who needed it.  What a perfect quote! <3 p="">

Here's the process video for this page.  It's one of my favorites, and I am really loving how it all came together. 


And this goes to show that you don't HAVE to have a ton of products to create something fun and awesome.  I feel like this page is full of color, texture and interest and I just used a few things from my stash.  You just have to look at your products in a different light, and you'll be surprised by what you can come up with!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a GREAT Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Loving all of the blue Missy! Awesome page!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your youtube chanel. Love this layout. I'm inspired to try your package technique.

    ReplyDelete